Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hungry to dig? Houseplants need re-potting too!


Taking stock of my houseplants in the winter months pacifies my gardening cravings just a bit. I have a few, or a lot, depending on how you judge that factor. In my sunroom, I have around eight different plants. In other rooms only a few.

From my experience, if you want your houseplants to flourish, talk to it! Really I am not joking! Just notice how well your plants do when they are placed an a room with a lot of conversation, or near a TV, or radio. I have no scientific reasoning for this, other than they are living things. Such craving any attention they can get.

So with as with any flourishing plant, sometimes they need dividing. Just like your outdoor plants.

After watering one of my many spider plants the other day, I noticed  the water just ran out the bottom of the planter. Basically when this happens the water is draining through the plant, instead of the plants roots absorbing it. This means the plant is root bound. Now spider plants like to be somewhat root bound, that is when they produce the baby plants, but there is a point that its too much. And that is when they don’t absorb the water any longer. Another sure sign is when you can see roots sprouting out of the soil. Obviously the plant needs more space!

For plants that just need a larger home you will need to get a bigger plant. Most will recommend going only 2 inches larger than the one it is currently in. Personally I use whatever I have. Then for plants that need to be divided, similar to outside plants, several small pots will be needed.

Need to know what type of houseplant you have? Try this website.

What you will need:

  • Potting soil 
  • Newspaper or a flattened empty cereal box 
  • A flat surface
  • A large spoon or dull knife 


If your separating and creating smaller plants from a larger one, don’t over water the new baby plants. The root system is smaller and requires less water. Try and water the plants a little daily.

For your established plants, here is a secret tip that someone just shared with me … Take left over coffee and dilute it half and half or more, with water. Then use to water your plants with once a week. It supposedly helps the plant to grow faster. (The caffeine maybe?) For now, I’m only trying it my most hardy philodendrons.

What’s your favorite houseplant? And which one do you baby the most?
For me, that would be my shamrocks! Just love 'em!

Do you have small children or pets? Make sure the plants they get a hold off aren't poisonous on this site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home