Thursday, November 13, 2014

Making a Lifestyle Change: Walking Gadgets for Christmas - or Anytime!


We all know if we fall into boredom with exercising, it won't happen. We say we will do it, then, well, something more interesting comes up. In fact, I knew with winter arriving soon, it was going to be a challenge to get back on the treadmill. I so love my outdoor walks!
But knowing the weather is going to prevent them from time to time, I am prepared. My hubby ran cable to a small tv so I can record and watch my favorite shows as I workout. That's the key. Plan ahead and make it something new! 
Get yourself fitted at a runners store,
even if you are a walker! A good fitting shoe
is important for your over all health and stride.
My go-to shoes are Mizuno or Saucony's.

And, walking is free and really doesn't need any special equipment- except supportive shoes. This is true. But why not treat yourself to something to make exercise interesting? Up the anti-if you will. Challenge yourself? 


So with Christmas not far off, many lists being made, and great deals being posted everywhere - why not ask for a something that will improve your health by making walking even more FUN?

Those who know me, know I'm a bit of a gadget lover anyhow, so this falls right in my interest to keep it - well, interesting and challenging. Here are a few "toys" that I enjoy for my walks: 

Walking Gadgets! 

Lock Laces -  For quick out the door walks. Lock Laces are elastic shoe laces with no tying involved. Just pull and go. Love them!


For Outdoor Walks:

Brightly colored vest, jackets, hats or shirts. 

Depending where you walk, these items are a great safety aset. With many of us walking in the early morning or late evening, being seen is extremely important. 


Other items that some find helpful for this include, a headlamp to site your way; reflective tape added to your favorite walking jacket or your pets leash help you stay illuminated! 

SmartTouch Gloves
Simple knit versions are available for just a few dollars from dollar stores, or the more versitile Isotoner Smarttouch models go for up to $25. These gloves are great, as they allow you to navigate your smart phone or IPOD without removing you gloves when it's chilly outside.


For Walking Anywhere:




IPOD

Bonus, keep it interesting and the walk may end up longer! Create playlists to relax, to pump you or podcast to keep the mind going. IPOD's range in price from the simple Shuffle for less than $60, to the Nano with bluetooth (this is the model I bought) for $150.(I also found a deal and got mine for $105.) or the the TOUCH with al the bells and whistles for $200 and up. 

I just invested in a LG Bluetooth Headset with with a new IPOD that is bluetooth capable. It makes it nice not having all those wires to deal with! These are also great to pair with your phone to multi-task when walking and making phone calls. 

Activity Tracker

This is not your inexpensive pocket step counter. It is a new generation of activity tracking!

These new trackers, sync with smart phones and Apps such as Map My Walk, My Fitness Pal, Fi.tt and more.

I have the Fitbit One. (pictured.) They come in a variety of style and types by many manufactures. Fitbit has recently released a new wrist band style, called the Charge and are releasing another high end, bell and whistle model, close to Christmas for the first of the year. This high end one, will be more like a watch, and include a heart rate monitor. 

I like, Fitbit because, it has great social media support. They just added a new feature to challenge fellow fitbitters, and up the keep it interesting between friends and family. There are many more manufactures of these devices from Sony to Garmin and many more. But by far, I can vouch for fitbit as having great customer service, from replacing lost and damaged devices, to resolving app and website issues quickly.

*********


Why not make this Christmas about being healthy? 

  • Step back from the cookies and cakes
  • Think before eating - Am I really hungry?
  • Portion the goodies must try
  •  Think about how long it will take you to burn those additional calories!!!
  • Leave the food area 
  • Distract yourself with conversation of friends



Remember the real reason for the season! Christmas is about celebrating Jesus' birth and spending time with friends and family. No where does it say, you must indulge in every cake and cookie and fat laden desert! 



********

Wondering how to step outside the walking box to work on toning and building muscle?
My next blog touches on the small changes that I did that really helped tone while losing wieght. No gym or heavy weights required! 


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home