Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Nurture it and it will grow!


Our cockapoos,
Pebbles and Dino (as a puppy)  
I have compared garden design with decorating and rearranging furniture...today I have another analogy. Gardening is also a lot like raising children. (Or even pets for that matter.) If you give them the care they need to grow strong roots, they will grow up firmly planted, healthy, and ready to provide the world with vibrant, beautiful colors!

Grandson
As you can imagine, this thought comes as I am babysitting my three month old grandson for the first time - all day! While I am excited to spend the day with him, I am also hoping that I remember how to take care of such a little one! My husband and I already raised two boys, have had a variety of pets, including currently two very spoiled cockapoos (who are like kids) ... so  I'm sure it will come back to me quickly, right?






But in reference to babies, pets and gardening, one favorite saying I've heard over and over from other
gardeners, and one I like to keep in mind is ...




"The First Year they Sleep!"




"The Second Year they Creep!"
"The Third Year they Leap!"






















If you remember this as you contemplate how you will design, plant and nurture, both children, pets and gardens - they all will flourish! Like children plants need tender care so that their roots (values) grow, and mature in a loving environment. Of course, this means, tending to their needs on a daily basis, and since each one is different, we must give them the individual care they each need.

Still there is basic care for young plants (children and pets ) that is pretty simple:


Columbine



  • Water deeply- For plants, water every other day for new plants and as needed for established plants.

    For children, love them deeply and feed them often. For pets, well - feed them often, play catch, and love them and they will love you back!
  • Weeding daily- if possible. For plants, minimal every couple of days. This keeping the weeds from crowding the roots, giving the plant room to develop and grow.

    For children, surround them with family and friends, and opportunities that allow them to grow. For pets, train them!
  • Columbine babies
  • Deadhead/Pruning - when needed. This is just pruning off the old flowers so that the energy stays within the plant. It also is a good way to keep the garden tidy by preventing reseeding. Of course if you want a more cottage or natural look garden, reseeding can be your friend. I'm more into the tidy look, but one plant I like to let reseed is my spring flowering Columbine. The baby plants are simple to move and replant. If you would like more information on  reseeding, visit this website to understand it a bit more. I also like to deadhead my knock-out roses, though they don't have to be. If want to do this type, find the first three leaf sprout after the dead flower and cut off there- it will inspire new growth.

    For children (and pets), teach them right from wrong, about God's love and forgiveness, and keep them safe from this crazy world! Oh and for children (if they reseed :) may you experience the joy of loving on a grand baby!


We can make life much more complicated than this. And many times we do! But really, fellow gardeners, it's really that simple.

Love it, nurture it, and it will grow!





Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home