Saturday, November 29, 2014

Making a Lifestyle Change: Shaping Your Body

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could choose the shape of our bodies? I mean  why not just ask Santa for some extra padding up top, or make a New Years resolution for no more thick thighs--- and Poof! Gone. No more muffin top! 

Sorry, but nope. It's not that easy, but IT IS up to you! Of course being realistic helps too! There are things we can change and things that will be what God gave us. That said, they don't have to have the extra padding or jiggles!

I know, because even though I had decided to "Make a Lifestyle Change," I knew I needed to do more. Yes, I was doing the cardio. Watching what I ate. But to really change the shape of my body, I needed to take it up a notch. 

We all know, cardio activities are an fun and important way to burn calories and stay in general good health. But our bodies, like our minds, they get bored. So as much as I love my daily walks, it wasn't enough to make the complete the changes I wanted to see. Bottom line, if I wanted to change my body, it was time for me to step it up to keep my body guessing!

So whatever part of your body bugs you, pick it and  stay focussed! For many women, myself included, we all know about that flabby arm or thigh thing going on! Sorry about the mental visual. But yes, it happens. But what’s a person to do about it?

Go back to the basics. Sync your mind. Where do you want to go from here? On my journey I learned what I thought and put in motion was the key to my own success. I could succeed or fail. The choice was mine.

Step it Up with Cross Training


Cross training involves including various types of exercises on a certain number of days a week. Then switching it up the other days.

This process is not only a great way to keep you body guessing, it also prevents injury as you are not over using one area of muscle over and over.  

Example:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday = Cardio
Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday = Tone or lift
Sunday = Rest

Remember, the level of your activity will vary depending on your fitness, body and overall health. But don’t be defeated! If one program doesn’t work for you the possibilities are endless from pilates to yoga and Zumba, to weight lifting, kickboxing and crossfit.

For me, I like to bike and garden (and yes, that is exercise), but in Michigan, that gets tricky

from November through late March. An indoor exercise bike is great option for those who like to bike year round. In my mini home gym set-up, I have a recumbent style that is easier on the joints and back. You can often find exercise bikes online second hand for half the cost of new.

Shaping the body

Be patient! Shaping the body takes more time than losing weight and the progress can sometimes seem slow. Here is a couple things that helped keep me focused:




Take your measurements
 
I started with the basics. Top, Waist, Hips, Thigh and upper arm. Just seeing the numbers in black and white and then seeing them slowly fall was what I needed to keep going!



Find your encouragement
Set a goal to fit in that a favorite pair of jeans, a special dress or those tight leggings. Or mark your calendar to compete in a 5K, or Mud Run, or what ever event that pushes you to keep going! Maybe it’s chasing after you kids or grandkids and keeping up!

Just think, you will gain strength to pick up your kids and grandkids, increase muscle tone so you can wear things you thought were long dead and gone… and whoa--- don’t forget about the perk, losing inches.

Building and Shaping Muscle

Lifting weights brought its own set of concerns for me. I have a torn rotator cuff. It’s fairly well healed, or as much as most do, but I still have to be smart when if comes to muscle building activities. So if your dealing with an injury, or an old injury, have it checked out by a doctor or physical therapist. Get some pointers on what you can and can not do. But don't be discouraged. There are so many adaptable activities that no one should be sidelined.

For lengthening and strengthening muscles I like to do Pilates. Pilates is easy on the joints and can be done in your own living room with no tools needed! Pilates involves stretching and a variety of core building exercises. These are the types of things that will not only make you more flexible, but will tone those flabby thighs, and flatten the belly by building core muscles.

I learned Pilates basics from a You can Do Pilates DVD - and used the moves

for the first part of my journey. Recently I added a Pilates Reformer, which is basically a machine that bumps up the intensity of Pilates. Many gyms and community centers offer classes on Pilates also. 

Do see a pattern here? Each leg of my journey, something has had to change. Our bodies get used to what we are doing and it’s harder to get past the plateaus. So we need to change it up! 

Muscle Building

This is an area that really differs per person. The old adage, "to lift more is better" doesn’t work for me. With the torn rotator cuff, I keep it simple and light. 

I use 5 lb. hand weights and do multiple reps for the effect I want three times a week. Again, changing it up is important. My routine may include squats one day, and not the next. I do overhead presses one time a week, then switch it up with lawn mower rows. So while this may not sound like the body building you’ve read about, or seen guys at the gym doing, It worked for me. And really, in the end, that is all that matters. It works for you! 

Results are worked for!

Just say'n folk, using the pilates and light weights helped me to lose 22 inch overall! It can be done. Age is just a number, just as it is on the scale or those pants you want to fit. keep your mind in the game! 

YouTube is a great place to find free videos on Pilates, Yoga and basic muscle building exercises, or visit the My Fitness Pal website for more ideas!

And for those, northerners who love snow and cold, there are plenty of outdoor activities to keep you moving. From downhill and cross country skiing, to snowshoeing, or even using those upper body muscles with snowmobiling!

So keep moving!!!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home