Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mid-summer Temps in March! This is just crazy!

I need to pinch myself! It really is only March! For those of us living in Michigan and are experiencing 70's and even a few 80's slipped in this weekend- it is just crazy!

The amount of garden clean-up I managed to get done just this past week is so unbelievable. My beds look better than they normally do in late April at the earliest.

I have cleaned up all the leaves I used for winter mulch. I have trimmed and pruned all my trees and bushes. Oh wait, I did forget the miniature rose garden. OK, I guess there are a few more to do. But for the most part I am as content as a gardener can be for the moment.

And sore too. But it's a good sore. One that makes you know you did a hard days work, and can look around and see exactly what you've accomplished.

Now the frustrating part. It is still only March. So there can't be any planting or dividing of perennials, though some are planting pansies now. Still it is so strange to see buds on my clematis, willows, and hostas even braking their tips through the ground.

One wonders what will all these early temps will mean come June? And what if we get some really freezing temps yet in March and April? To read what the Farmer's Almanac has to say about it, visit their website.

This is where our faith and patience in God's plan for our gardens is tested for sure! I just have to remember, Mother Nature has her own agenda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home